Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

Re: Uterine fibroid. I had an e-mail conversation with Dr. C

Customer Question

Re: Uterine fibroid. I had an e-mail conversation with Dr. C in 2012 with regards ***** ***** fibroid. Thanks to her I still have my uterus intact. Unfortunately, I am not able to access my previous thread of e-mails with her..
In summary, I am 67 and have had a fairly large fibroid for more than 20 years. i have been having ultrasounds annually for the past few years showing it to remain unchanged. 2014 pap smear was negative.
As of recent I have had one episode of vaginal bleeding following intercourse. It started as a small amount of fresh bleeding which soon turned dark and eventually quit. My reading suggests that fibroids can bleed if they are close to the surface of the interior wall of the uterus.
I did visit my GP regarding this change. He is sending my for another ultrasound and has suggested a uterine biopsy.
I am wondering if a uterine biopsy is really necessary and if there is any further action that should be taken.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

A few questions first to clarify your concern:

1. Have you had bleeding at times other than associated with intercourse? If so how many in past month?

2. DO you have diabetes?

3. Have you had an endometrial biopsy before, like in 2012? if so what was the result?