Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

Whydoes a woman in her 60s 70s vagina freeze up so she cant

Customer Question

whydoes a woman in her 60s 70s vagina freeze up so she cant have intercourse no pain involved is it medical physical mental or deliberate when there was no problem before in the past can diabetes and or kidney failure be some of the cause or all of it or is she cheating
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern.

As a woman ages the amount of estrogen she produces drops considerably after menopause. The estrogen is that special hormone all woman have that keeps our vagina pink, healthy and strong. When there is not enough estrogen the vagina lining can become fragile, and easy to damage, as well as the vaginal opening can become taught. All this can contribute to the discomfort & even pain with intercourse.

These changes are compounded when woman stop using the vagina, i.e. avoid sex, because the muscles are getting exercised and thus maintaining a good tone.

Many of these symptoms can be alleviated by 1. Making sure you are getting enough water in your diet (any caffeinated product can do just the opposite); 2. consider using an estrogen creme a few days a week (if your uterus is still intact you will also need to be prescribed progesterone so the estrogen doesn't cause unwanted uterine lining changes.

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Please be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my time

Have a great day!