Internist
Internist, Doctor
Experience:  Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
23050427

I am 38 years old and having abnormal uterine bleeding due

Customer Question

I am 38 years old and having abnormal uterine bleeding due to PCOS and estrogen dominance. My doctor put me on 5mg of Aygestin for ten days. On day ten the bleeding finally lightened up however due to no more progestin the next day started bleeding. My
doc waited to see if it was the withdrawal bleed but it is not. The bleeding is very heavy with clots. My hemoglobin has gone from a 16 to a 12.9. We did an ultrasound and it showed everything looked ok except I have a very thick uterine lining still. My doc
then put me on 400mg of prometrium a day which I understand however he also added Methergine which complete confuses me. It's not showing the bleeding and in some things I have read it is showing a contradiction to take in abnormal uterine bleeding because
apparently it doesn't help. Any advice? My husband and I do not have children and will be moving into IVF once the bleeding is under control. I missed my cycle in July and the bleeding stated August 2nd.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

What was your doctors explanation for the thickend wall?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry for my late response. Estrogen dominance. So he has me on methergine and 400mg of prometrium
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.

Dear JA customer

sorry to hear about your problem,

i have not heard about the role of methylergonovine in treatment of PCOS. recommended treatment is ocps to control bleeding, clomiphene citrate to induce ovulation ( for fertilization) and weight loss, plus minus metformin as there is often metabolic derangements in pcos especially poor glycemic control and predisposition to diabetes.

methylergonovine causes constriction of smooth muscles in blood vessels and is used to reduce bleeding following child birth but not in pcos. so you should ask your doctor reason behind its prescription.

i hope this helps

Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.

i hope this helps. if you have any follow up questions, please feel free to ask,

if i answered your query, kindly click on accept.

thanks