Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I need help! I have completely irregular cycles...my LMP was

Customer Question

Hi
I need help! I have completely irregular cycles...my LMP was June 14th (to put the irregularity in context before that my previous cycles were may 9th, nothing in April, march 20th, nothing in feb, jan 10th, dec 1st...)so all over the place basically.
I am now pregnant with a test positive on 10th August claiming I was 2-3 wks since conception. I then had an abdominal scan on 13th and she said I was 5 wks 2 days (could only see a sac). My worry is this: I had sex on June 5 th and then again around 20th. Which conception date produced the pregnancy? And will my scan next week give a definite answer?(it would either say I am around 9 wks (7 since conception) or 11 wks (9 wks since conception) I need to know that the scan would give accuracy to give confidence about the date if conception for sure.im guessing a scan at the 9-11 wk stage cannot be out by more than 5 days and I'm taking into account sperm can also live 5 days so I could have conceived around June 10th after having sex June 5th but I still want there to be an accuracy from the scan?Thanks
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

You conceived around July 21 if you are really 5 weeks. Any future scans are less accurate. A first trimester scan is accurate to within 5 days. If you really conceived in June then this is a miscarriage because you would be much further along. I'm sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I'm confusing things I meant the 2 possible conception dates are the 5t July and 21st July
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not June-sorry! So bearing in mind sperm could have lived until July 10th from the intercourse on 5th as an outside chance,would a scan now (approx 9-11 wks depending on which date it was)be able to show which one I conceived at? Also how accurate was the scan at 5wks? I read so many forums saying it isn't accurate until you see a fetal pole....
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

No. You conceived july 21. I'm sure the 9 week scan will confirm it. A 5 week sac is plus or minus 3 days