Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

I'm 23, I was pretty sure my boyfriend broke my hymen (with

Customer Question

I'm 23, I was pretty sure my boyfriend broke my hymen (with a finger) last Monday because I notice I was bleeding on Tuesday. It lasted until Wednesday. But then I looked it up online and saw that it can be an early sign of pregnancy and that you can get pregnant even without actual sex/penetration. Ive never had sex before, but there was contact although no ejaculation. I've had some stomach pains/back pains since then but no other symptoms. I didn't know if this could be stress since it's all I've been thinking about since reading things online Tuesday. I took a test and it was negative but it's also probably too early to tell since I'm not expecting my next period for about 12 more days. What are the actual chances I could be pregnant?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

A few questions first to clarify your concern:

1. What was the first day of your last menstrual period (LMP)?

2. Do you have periods every month? If not then how often

3. Was there any semen on your partner's finger prior to entering into the vagina?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. the first day was on the friday before, and they are 7 days long so i had stopped bleeding about 4 days before
2. yes i do they are usually about a 30 day cycle
3. no there was not, but there was genital contact (no penetration) so I was concerned about pre-ejaculate
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

I need a date please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, the 14th I started
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

so 14 August?

THen if you were pregnant now the test would most likely positive, given the time frame So it is unlikely you are pregnant. But to be sure wait until your period is at least 10 days late before doing a urine pregnancy test

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to be clear August 14th was the day I started my last period. I stopped bleeding on the 20th, there was contact anywhere from from the 21st to the 24th and I noticed blood the 25th.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the clarification. If the contact was on the 21-24 then you should wait until at least 8 of September to know for sure. The contact occurred right around the time of ovulation. However, since there was no semen on the finger then transference of sperm would not have happened, leading me to conclude you are not pregnant.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but there was also genital contact as I mentioned before. So it is the pre-ejaculation I am worried about. Is that a risk? Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Yes the pre-ejaculate is a risk, & I have many patients get pregnant from pre-ejaculate. Thanks for clarifying the penile penetration occurrence.

But at this point worry will not help and can infect cause a delay of what would have been a normal period. For now make sure you repeat the pregnancy test

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To clarify again, there was no penetration just contact. But I have read that in rare cases just contact near the opening without penetration and without semen can cause pregnancy.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

My answer has not changed; yes contact at opening can risk pregnancy, how much of a risk in your particular situation is uncertain. I know you are anxious so I recommend you wait until you have a definitive answer by testing, as described in my previous answers.

For now try focusing on something else so that you don't become more anxious worrying about something that might not happen. This may not be much comfort but it is important to realize you will not change the outcome worrying about the possibility of a pregnancy. You will know the answer in less than 2 weeks. You can either focus on what to do after you know for sure, start planning ahead.

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.

Please be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my time

Have a great day!