Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 51 and still have my period regularly - had my period

Customer Question

I am 51 and still have my period regularly - had my period one week ago and I was clean for few days but started bleeding very lightly after passing urain is this normal. My bleeding is also not clear it is dark. please advise.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Did your last period begin exactly when expected?

Was it a completely normal period?

Have you ever missed a period?

Have you ever had bleeding between periods? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was regular and it was as usual lasted for 3 to 5 days, I have never missed a period in my life. The only time I had bleeding between period is when I had a bleeder infection few years back.

Usually I would be concerned about irregular bleeding at age 51, since that could sometimes be the first sign of cancer. However, cancer doesn't develop unless there has been period irregularity for a long time (more than a year).

So I think I would give it a little time and see whether the spotting continues or comes back later.

If this spotting stops and you continue having regular normal periods, then I would forget it.

If the spotting continues or happens again next month, then I think you should see your doctor.

Your doctor may wish to do an endometrial biopsy (thin tube through the cervix to sample the uterine lining).

Most likely the spotting is related to the fact that your hormones are starting to change a little - the first step leading eventually to menopause. For most women, this happens long before age 51. It's part of a process that will lead to menopause. Most women stop having their periods by age 55, and I suspect that you'll be close to 55 when you stop. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you

You're welcome.

Please click on the ratings button. Thank you.