Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Can using a help cure vaginal atrophy. I have not had a mate

Customer Question

Can using a vibrator help cure vaginal atrophy. I have not had a mate in over 20 years and now I have a problem and it can only be cured with vagifem. Is there any thing else that could help build up the vaginal walls and stop the discomfort in the vulva area?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years experience. I can help you today.

Yes the vibrator can help build up the health of the tissue by increasing the blood flow to the vaginal walls, stretching the tissue and thickening it. But this will work much better if a woman also uses the Vagifem.

Vagifem does not absorb into your system so will not increase risk of breast cancer or blood clots despite what the package insert says. FDA law dictates that all estrogen products carry the same package insert. Vagifem delivers a dose that is about 1/30th of that used to manage menopausal hot flashes and nights sweats. Also because it's being delivered directly to the vaginal tissue, it doesn't raise the blood levels of estrogen at all.

But some women really feel strongly about not using any estrogen or it's just too expensive. An alternative is to break a Vitamin E capsule into the vagina twice weekly. That won't work quite as well as the Vagifem but if the vibrator is also used, it may be good enough.

The key with the vibrator is to go slowly and never do anything that causes pain.

I hope this information is reassuring and helpful.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Any questions?

If none, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
question: What about Uterine Cancer issues with Vagifem? I am using the product and am now at twice a week for an indefinite time and the box cautions about that too
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

All estrogen products have the exact same product insert warnings by FDA law. No matter the dose or how it's given. Vagifem is 10mcg twoce weekly as opposed to a standard dose of 1mg daily that is commonly used for management of hot flashes and night sweats. So thats 20mcg versus 7mg per week. But the same package insert. Research shows NO stimulation of the endometrial lining and NO increased risk of endometrial cancer with the use of Vagifem. Estrogen products that do stimulate the lining are recommended to be used along with a progesterone to counteract the impact on the endometrium. Doses used for control of hot flashes and night sweats do require that. Vagifem does not.

Any other questions? I hope this is reassuring.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

If no more questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. checking in to see if things were going well. Please remember to leave a rating if done. Thanks.