Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

7 days ago i found out i was pregnant Thursday: hcg 9

Customer Question

7 days ago i found out i was pregnant
Thursday: hcg 9
MondayL hcg 16
Thursday hcg 86
and today Saturday Hcg 156 the levels are rising but my progesterone is less then 1 its .52 and they say its an unhealthy pregnancy. also they refuse to give me progesterone to save this pregnancy.
p.s i have PCOS so i experience miscarriage often but still want to have hope
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today.

I'm sorry that you're having this worry about your pregnancy. Let me do some calculations and see if the beta-HCG numbers are anywhere near the normal rise. The LOOSE rule of thumb is doubling every 48 hours but research shows the actual rise needs to be only about 53%. I'll need to get my calculator. I'll be right back.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

It's also true that sometimes there can be a "staggered" pattern where a not so good rise is followed by a super rise with the average being above 53%. It's the average that's important.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

I just did the math and I am surprised that they are ready to call this pregnancy non-viable. I'm going to recheck the numbers. The rise seems above 53% average per 48 hours but let me double check the math.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

The rise from the 20th to the 24th is too low but after that it's clearly well above 53%. I'm surprised they are willing to say the rise is not normal. The low progesterone is puzzling and not a good sign but I myself wouldn't be willing to give up hope quite yet.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Any questions?

If none, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks and good luck.