Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Itching started in the front then now is also in the anus.it

Customer Question

Itching started in the front then now is also in the anus.it has been two weeks of torture. Tried washing with vinegar and water, vagisil,cortisone-10, and neosporin. No relief. I have bruised myself from rubbing. I am a diabetic senior citizen.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

The most common cause of vaginal itching is a yeast infection. All the treatments that you've mentioned might help itching, but won't do anything about a yeast infection.

However, since the itching is also near the anus, I suspect that you might have a condition called lichen sclerosus. This usually causes some whitening of the tissues involved, but it can be faint and hard to see.

You might try an over the counter yeast cream to see if that helps. In the meantime, I would also make an appointment with an OB/GYN doctor, in case the yeast cream doesn't resolve the itching (should be much better in 1-2 days if it's from yeast.

If it is lichen sclerosus, it's treated with a potent steroid cream, which controls it quite well. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not satisfied with your answer. However, luckily I was able to find some probiotics and some antihistamines that helped. Sometimes an itch is caused by something circulating in the blood. In such cases, applying cream locally will not help.