Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I have just been told I am hpv positive, I had my Pap done

Customer Question

I have just been told I am hpv positive, I had my Pap done and results came back positive, and they would like to do a colposcopy, should I be worried? The doctor has her nurse call and wasn't very helpful in telling me what was going on
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board-certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience and a special interest in HPV & cervical disease. I can help you today.

I'm sorry that you had a + HPV test. Most women have temporary infections with HPV several times during their lives. With a new relationship, there is about a 50% chance of catching a new HPV infection. In the vast majority of cases, the infection clears by itself without treatment within 3 years, most often much more quickly, within 1 year.

A colposcopy is done to be sure of how much of the cervix is infected and whether it's safe to monitor. Usually with a first lifetime abnormal pap, the recommendation after colpo will be repeat pap smear in 1 year. Smokers are at higher risk of not clearing the HPV, so if a woman smokes, I always strongly advise her to quit.

I hope this has been reassuring so far. Usually a woman with a new +hpv will have more questions, so please reply if I can clarify anything or add more details. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information.