Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, years of experience in the field of Surgery and Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I'm 17 days late on my period. I have... I'm 17 days

Customer Question

Hi I'm 17 days late on my period. I have... Hi I'm 17 days late on my period. I have a cycle of approximately 35 to 43 days. I have taken 4 Pregnacy tests and they are all negative I went to the doctor about a week ago and my tsh level where 5.9( I been
diagnosed with grave disease in the past currently on thyroid med levothyroxine) but this week I been cramping excessivly after I get home and relaxe. I want to know if I tested to early or do I have a chance to be pregnant?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for your question.

There is a probability that you are testing too early, if you ovulated late in your cycle you would get positive test after two to three weeks. As you mentioned you have graves disease and on medication, that might be the cause for your delayed period because menstrual irregularities are quite common with thyroid problems. First is you should rule out pregnancy by testing again after a week.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please leave a positive rating for the service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks another question, can thyroid just randomly affect your cycle because I have been diagnosed with Graves' disease 3yrs ago and it's the first time I miss a period the longest cycle I had was 43 days. I don't think I'm pregnant but I'm looking for other causes to this miss/delayed cycle. I'm really scare of any cyst.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Yes thyroid problem can affect your cycle randomly and cyst can be another reason if you have symptoms of polycystic ovarian disease like weight gain hirsutism acne you should get your ultrasound and hormone levels done and consult your gynecologist to evaluate further.

Please do leave a positive rating.

Best.