Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I recently had a transvaginal and transabdominal ultrasound.

Customer Question

I recently had a transvaginal and transabdominal ultrasound. The impression on the test results advises:
Hydrometrium may be secondary to cervical or uterne stricture versus obstructive mass in the lower uterine segment or superior cervix. I am 67 years old and post menopausal. Finders were fluid in the endometrial cavity and in the cervix. A submucosal fibroid in the uterus. Trace cul de sac fluid. No masses in right ovary. Left ovary not visualized.
I don't understand the findings and I do not yet have a gynecologist
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Hydrometrium means fluid inside the uterine cavity. It could be blood or tissue fluid. It's not normal, but it's hard to know the significance at this point.

It needs to be investigated. When you find a gynecologist, he/she will probably do a D&C, which will dilate the cervix and clean out any tissue inside. That will reveal whether there is anything serious (such as possible cancer) inside the uterus.

The fluid may not be anything significant, and may be just due to a tight cervix from some fluid buildup, or might be due to cancer. It needs evaluation. Most likely it's not serious, but you need to know. Best wishes.