Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am a little over 7 weeks pregnant. I still occasionally

Customer Question

I am a little over 7 weeks pregnant. I still occasionally check my cervical position. It's been mainly high with the opening moving from back to straight. This morning I noticed it's lower and to the left. Almost like the neck is at an angle bringing the
opening to the left. Why does this happen? And is it normal or should I go in and see my OBGYN? I've never experienced this cervical position before.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

I would say it's probably very normal.

As the uterus grows in early pregnancy, it softens up. One of the early signs of pregnancy is a softening of the area just above the cervix, such that the cervix and uterus almost feel separate from each other. When this occurs, it's not unusual for the body of the uterus to tilt off to one side, which could cause the cervix to tilt to the other.

So I think that what you're feeling is most likely completely normal. You could see your doctor just to be sure, but having the cervix tip to one side isn't usually a sign of any problem. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if it is a bit lower now? all I hear is how cervical position should be high in pregnancy so I am a bit worried and can't get into my dr until next week.

Everything loosens up when a woman gets pregnant. That means that the uterus and cervix can be somewhat lower in the pelvis.

The important thing is that your cervix isn't opening and you're not having bleeding or contractions. I think that you're looking for problems where none exist.

Since you're concerned and can't see your doctor, you could go to an urgent care clinic. They could do an exam and perhaps an ultrasound to know that your cervix is normal.