Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have what I think is labia minora hyperplasia. The lips of

Customer Question

Hello, I have what I think is labia minora hyperplasia. The lips of my labia are turning white. I am getting cream for the occasional itching. It started small but now has turned the lips almost entirely white around the edges. There is no hardening. I read an article that a woman had the same, and her MD gave her a steroid cream and the color is returning. Have you heard of this? My sister works for Gyno and said that the color never returns..? I have had a test when it first started and it is not cancerous.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you may have lichen sclerosus. It's a skin condition that occurs in the labia area where the skin gets whitish. It's treated with specific potent steroid creams. It's often associated with itching.

The white color may or may not resolve with treatment. However, if it is lichen sclerosus, it can result in thinning and contraction of the tissues around the vagina, causing the labia to almost disappear and the vaginal opening to get tight.

I would try to see a good OB/GYN doctor for diagnosis. We can usually tell by looking, although sometimes a biopsy may be necessary.

There is no cure, but the steroid cream will control lichen sclerosus. It needs to be continued for life. Best wishes.