Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had my period recently and I just had sex with a clean

Customer Question

I had my period recently and I just had sex with a clean partner when I was using the bathroom after sex I noticed a dark red spot on the outside of the opening to my vagina. I tried to wipe it away but nothing happened. Doesn't itch or burn, I was a little dry in the middle of sex. It looks just like a blood blister, or that area got pinched badly. No other bumps or symptoms. I haven't tried popping it. What could it be?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

It may be a blood blister, or it may be a mole.

A melanoma can occur in the vaginal area, although benign moles are much more common. Since this looks like a blood blister, melanoma is unlikely, but it's probably best to see your doctor just to be sure. A melanoma tends to look irregular, asymmetric, varying colors.

Although melanoma seems unlikely, it's best to have it checked, since melanoma is a serious cancer. Best wishes.