Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

After taking topical Monistat cream as well as the 1 day

Customer Question

After taking topical Monistat cream as well as the 1 day suppository, a vaginal fissure on my labia turned into 3 sores. Could this be yeast or herpes? I have not had any symptoms of herpes but had sit show up one blood test as having been exposed to it.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

The most common cause of sores in the vaginal area is genital herpes. The only way to know whether your sores are from herpes is to see your doctor for a herpes culture.

The fact that you had a positive blood test for herpes means that you have herpes antibodies, which means that you were exposed to the herpes virus previously. It's possible that you've had herpes for some time but this is the first time it has caused an outbreak.

Many people get genital herpes but never have an outbreak, and never know it except if a blood test is done. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Norm S.Thank you for your quick reply. I went ahead and saw a gynecologist today to do a swab test. My initial reaction is that it is indeed an outbreak and one that I don't recall every having. I do get tears and fissures. Some from intercourse and others, well I'm not sure and have never had them checked out by a doctor before. This is the first time.But as I have checked on some discussion boards, it appears that vaginal fissures on the labia are the result of yeast infections or herpes. Others have pointed out that discharge for yeast is white and non-odorous, whereas with herpes it is yellow and odorous. Have you ever been presented with cases such as these?Thank you.

What did the gynecologist today think?

Was a culture for herpes done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The gynecologist did not give a definitive answer. She will call me when the swab test results come back. I too will post the results when I hear back.

OK. Usually a gynecologist will have a good idea whether it's herpes or not by looking.

Let me know when the culture is back. Thanks.