Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

I have all this air in my stomach. i can get it to come out

Customer Question

I have all this air in my stomach. i can get it to come out when I do yoga or inversions. the air makes me sooo bloated and its a lot of pressure like i have a water balloon in my stomach. I can get the air out of my vagina but it hurts sometimes and its
SO much air its never ending. it started 3 years ago and has been slowing increasing to the point where I can never get all the air out . and when i do get enough of it out for my stomach to flatten, it all fills up again soon
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It is my privilege to assist you in getting answers to your health questions. A few questions first to clarify your concern:

1. How often do you have a bowel movement (elimination, poo, etc)?

2. Have you had any surgery? if so what & how long ago?

3. Do you feel this while performing other exercise? while walk? upon rising from a chair?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I poop 2-3 times a day , never surgery , and it doesn't really happen when I sit or walk . I mean I do the yoga to get the air out . I lift legs up to get the air to come out . Do you have any ideas ??.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

You are describing a condition know as excessive flatulence. When we breath in air sometimes it is swallowed and can get into the intestinal tract (IT) which includes the stomach, small intestine, large intestine (colon) and rectum. Air is also produced in the IT due to the food we eat & how its gets broken down. When the is too much air in the IT then bloating can occur.

Elimination of the excess food, air, etc occurs when you pass gas, and have a bowel movement (BM) or poop. If there is a problem with this process then you can become bloated, which is apparently what has been happening to you. While this is a normal process, some bloating will occur after a meal, certain food contribute to this more than others.

The first step is to look at the foods you are eating.

I am more than happy to have a live chat session, but we need to be available at the same time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you I understand all that . The air is coming out of my vagina . I drink mostly juice and I am a health coach . Vegan diet . This is not reguar gas from eating
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the clarification. Have you had a vaginal delivery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately this has not been helpful
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay, I have been consulting with a few of my colleagues to see if any has come across a similar situation. Unfortunately your situation is quite unusual.

With your symptoms of gas coming out of the vagina, this can be due to a complication of a severe vaginal tear during vaginal delivery, however since that is not our history it would be important for you to have an exam to determine exactly where the air is coming from. Without having previous damage to the vaginal wall, the amount of gas you describe is quite large and very unusual. At this point a thorough exam may uncover a defect.

The only normal opening into the vagina is from outside. The other end has your cervix and uterus. So with this anatomy it is would be difficult for air to get into the vagina from your stomach.

However I will release the lock on this question so perhaps another expert can better assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! Yes I don't think the air comes from my stomach I think somehow my vagina is sucking it in . The air scoops in and out when I'm upside down as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi since I have not gotten an answer or solution for this problem I would like a refund .