Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I am a true mess. I feel normal only one week per month. The

Customer Question

I am a true mess. I feel normal only one week per month. The others i am crying with thoughts of suicide, sweating and hot, i feel panicked, and hopelessly doomed. it is affecting my brain, my life, most of all my job. i am already diagnosed as clinically depressed and i am on meds such as cymbalta, lithium, latuda. I have been watching and it really seems to me i am out of control with fear anxiety fatigue, restlessness at night, mood and the tears.. i need help.. so do i reach out to my obgyn or a hormone specialist.?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Thanks for your question.
Have you consulted a behavioral therapist?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have, and am in Therapy. My thought is this has to do with my hormones. seems that before my period i am a mess and i mean two weeks before and then of course I start to feel normal again once I menstuate at the end of my period.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Thanks for your reply.
Hormonal changes such as low thyroid hormones or hormonal changes when a person is undergoing menopause, or premenstrual syndrome can all be associated with or be causative for depression. Hence I would suggest that you have your thyroid function tests done and if hypothyroidism is present then treating it will be beneficial. For this you need to consult with your general practitioner. And if required he or she may refer you to an endocrinologist.
Take care.