Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I'm 33, I have a paragard iud and am not pregnant. My last

Customer Question

I'm 33, I have a paragard iud and am not pregnant. My last cycle started about 10 days early and lasted almost 10 days, bleeding the whole time. A few days ago, I thought I had started another cycle, about the time it should, started with really heavy bleeding and tapered off after about 3 days. Then for a few days following that, I have had this almost clear liquid discharge, really heavy, it keeps flowing out of me and has a very strange smell, definitely not a good smell. It's been three days of soaking pad after pad with this substance, this has never happened before. I went to urgent care, blood and urine samples were taken and everything "looks great on paper", I have an appointment with my obgyn next Tuesday and don't know what to expect. Will this clear liquid stop anytime soon? Is it an infection ?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Did they do testing for STD's in urgent care?

Did they examine the discharge with a microscope?

Did they do a pelvic exam?

Do you have any pain? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They didn't do std testing because they knew my gyno exam was coming up, same with pelvic exam.
And I'm not having any pain, the urgent care dr even pushed on my organs and tapped around to see if anything was tender, but nothing was.
A discharge with a bad smell is often due to bacterial vaginosis (BV), which is a common condition where the good vaginal bacteria are replaced by other bacteria which cause the discharge and the odor. It's not serious, and if that's what your doctor finds, it's treated with certain antibiotics, although it's not an infection.
An STD can also cause discharge, so your doctor will likely test for that.
A period that starts early is usually due to hormonal changes, and your doctor will figure that out, and can treat it with hormone pills if it happens again.
There's a chance that the discharge is due to the Paragard, but I don't think it's likely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gyno thought it was an std, she prescribed a heavy antibiotic, took it and then today the Std test came back negative. Pap isn't back yet, what could this possibly be?

It's still likely that the discharge and odor is due to BV, which is not an std. See if the antibiotics clear it up.