Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Specialist advice in Gynecology,Menstrual problems,STDs, Pregnancy .
6740150

Would a pap smear test always show if I have a cervical

Customer Question

Would a pap smear test always show if I have a cervical erosion?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today.
Well, Pap smear test examines cells from the cervix, located at the top of the vagina.
Normal vaginal discharge contains cells that are shed from the cervix and uterus.
Yes, pap smear test would always check for cervical erosion.
In this test, doctor would collect some of the cells from the neck of the womb onto the stick. When these cells are examined, if they are womb cells instead of cervical cells, then this is called an erosion.
This can be treated with a local anaesthetic and cautery.
I would also make it clear that Cervical erosion is mostly an incidental finding on routine gynecological examination in women. Commonly it is present in asymptomatic female.
Pap smear is usually normal, but may show signs of infection or some abnormal cells. Therefore Pap smear usually helps to decide if treatment is needed or not. Cone biopsy is done if indicated.
As such, Mostly cervical erosion is present in women who do not have any symptoms and so no specific treatment is advised.
If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business