Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I was on medroxypr ac 5mg generic and premarin 0.625 mg. my

Customer Question

i was on medroxypr ac 5mg generic for provera and premarin 0.625 mg. my doctor retired and another doctor took his place. now he wants me to take progesterone 100mg and estradiol 1 mg. but the question i have is this: will these new pills produce a period like the old pills did? and if so what days do you take the pills, there are no instructions other than take the estradiol in the morning and take the progesterone at night. There are no instructions on the bottles as to what day you take these like day 1 through 15 and stop the pills so the period would start. my questions are do these new pills produce a period and if so what days do i take the pills?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
I would take these pills just the same as you took your estrogen and progesterone before.
I would take the estradiol every day.
The progesterone can be taken for 10-15 days per month, and you should get a period after stopping the progesterone.
If you previously took the provera on days 1-15 and that worked well for you, then I'd do the same with the progesterone.