Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had a cold knife cone biopsy two weeks ago. I went to last

Customer Question

I had a cold knife cone biopsy two weeks ago. I went to my follow up last week and everything went great. The doctor told me that my stitches had already desolved. He said there was a "thing" that would come out that was holding my cervix open whle i was healing. He also said it was the size of a walnut. Can someone help me with what this "thing" is called?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
The thing is called packing material. It will frequently be a material that aids in coagulation, such as Surgicel or Gelfoam. Sometimes Telfa is used, which is similar to the non-stick part of a band aid.