Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I recently got my Mirena IUD removed. During the 5 years of

Customer Question

Hi. I recently got my Mirena IUD removed. During the 5 years of this IUD I had my period pretty regularly being 29-30 days. I got my IUD removed mid cycle, had a period but nothing since. I am not 2 weeks late. I felt like my period was about to start so I never took a test, I thought maybe I would be a bit late. Now I am worried the IUD removal or the IUD itself caused scar tissue or messed up ovulation. I have never missed a period before. Are these scenarios likely, or should I think more along the lines of pregnancy? My fiancee and I are not trying to prevent a pregnancy.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
What was the date that the Mirena was removed?
So you had some bleeding after removal, and no bleeding since?
When were you expecting your next period to start?
How old are you? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The date Mirena was removed was June 18th. I had some spotting after removal, but not a ton. I went on to have my period start on July 3th, with spotting on the 2nd which is what happens every month.... a little spotting the day before. It was a relatively normal period with cramps, but not too bad that would keep me from any activity. So a normal period. I was supposed to start on August 1st. I have felt like it was about to start a couple days prior and it did not. I felt like this for a week, still feeling like some days I might start even though the sensation to start isn't a constant thing.
Having had the Mirena should have no effect on future periods. Scar tissue would be rare from the Mirena, and the Mirena doesn't have any effect on ovulation once it's removed.
When a woman with regular periods misses a period, the most likely reason is that she's pregnant. That's what I would guess has happened to you, unless you have had much stress, illness, or weight change that might cause you to miss a period.
I would do a pregnancy test. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 30 years old

At age 30, women are a little more likely to miss a period than when younger. I think pregnancy is still the most likely reason though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I currently have no symptoms except my breasts are somewhat bigger, not much. They aren't sore/tender. I do have breasts implants so I do not know if that matters or not. I do have to wake up and I pee, not bad though. Usually I sleep through the night. I am not peeing anymore throughout the day unless it is 1-2 times more. I do have some cervical mucus when I wipe, but not a lot and not a ton like a lot of pregnant women claim to have.
Early in pregnancy, amount of pregnancy symptoms varies a great deal from woman to woman. When you miss a period, pregnancy is usually the most common reason, and whether or not there are any symptoms doesn't change that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the mirena was to cause scarring, wouldn't that happen shortly after insertion and affect my period then? Or would I not experience that until after removal? Also, I know you mentioned scaring from Mirena is rare, but can removal cause scarring?

I've never heard of removal of a Mirena causing scarring.

If scarring took place, it would be primarily in the uterus, so it would have no effect on ovulation, which comes from the ovaries. The only way that removal of the Mirena might affect the ovaries would be if there were a significant pelvic infection resulting from removal that affected the ovaries. I've never heard of that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there was to be scarring in the uterus, would that stop bleeding from my period? I guess what is throwing me off is the fact I thought I was going to start my period and never did and the fact I have no symptoms really so I am assuming it is something that is wrong with me. For the first week and a half around my period the sensation of starting was more consistent. Now it is not, but a times I still feel the dull cramping or I guess not any pain.... Just like I am about to start. But, not near as frequent as before.

Scarring of your uterus would not stop bleeding from your period.

I suggest that you do a pregnancy test, rather than arguing about it. If it's positive, that settles the issue. If it's negative, then we can discuss it further.