Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 23 weeks pregnant, this is my second pregnancy with no

Customer Question

Hi. I am 23 weeks pregnant, this is my second pregnancy with no complications so far. For the past two days I've been feeling a lot of vaginal pressure, so I did a self inspection (for lack of better wording) and it feels like my cervix is dilated at least 2 centimeters. Is this cause for concern?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
It's definitely cause for concern. If your cervix is actually 2 cm dilated, you likely have something called incompetent cervix. There would be a high risk of premature delivery if not treated. It would require minor surgery to put in a suture to close up the cervix.
I would try to see your doctor as soon as possible. In the meantime, I would spend most of your time lying down, as that helps to take the pressure off the cervix.
Unless you are experienced examining your cervix, it may not actually be 2 cm dilated, but I wouldn't take any chances. Best wishes.