Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am a 33 year old female last three months or so (on and

Customer Question

HI I am a 33 year old female for the last three months or so (on and off I have had itching on my left breast near my areola. I went to the GYN who did an exam and he discovered a tiny lump but said he is not worried it is anything. I had an ultrasound done, which the radiologist told me it is a small fibroid adenoma but to be 100% sure I had a biopsy done 3 days ago. The itching is back, and now I discovered where the lump is (not where the incision is since they went under my breast and the lump is at 9 oclock) where the lump is are two pimple like things on my breast. I am worried about IBC, does this sound like it?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

Inflammatory breast cancer is fairly rare, so most women, especially women 33 years old, who have some type of breast irritation or rash, have no cancer and instead have some benign cause for their irritation or rash.

Two pimple like things don't sound like IBC, which tends to cause redness and swelling caused by cancer cells blocking the lymph flow.

Lots of things can cause itching and pimple like things, especially a skin reaction to something coming in contact with the area (from soap, bra, laundry soap, etc). Since the biopsy was done 3 days ago, I would suspect that your skin may be reacting to the disinfectant or something else used during the procedure.

To be cautious, it's probably best to see your doctor again to have the area checked. But after a recent ultrasound, and at the age of 33, this is very unlikely to be IBC. Best wishes.