khagihara
khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Trained in OB & GYN for many years.
20084961

Could I still be in menopause?..if I haven't had a period in

Customer Question

hello, could I still be in menopause?..if I haven't had a period in 6 years...because as of about a month ago, my anxiety has increased a lot! and still having hot flashes, and a weird de tached feeling like something is going to happen to me..and sweating..been to my regular dr and my gyno,,..my pap test and mammogram, both came out good, just weird anxiety now..?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

More than 80 percent of women will continue to have hot flashes for more than one year. When untreated, hot flashes diminish and then cease spontaneously within a few years in most women, but may persist in others. Hot flashes continue in 12 to 15 percent of women in their sixties, and 9 percent after age 70 years. You should try paroxetine, citalopram, or escitapram. They also work for anxiety. If the hot flashes are significant at night, you should try gabapentin. You should see your primary care doctor to have the prescription.