Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have developed a swollen lump on the outside of my labia

Customer Question

Hello. I have developed a swollen lump on the outside of my labia majora. I used to have cystic acne and have had cysts around the area between vulva and rectum in the past that were simply acne type cysts. I know for 100% certain it's not STD related and it's swelled up in just the past few hours. Is it just an acne cyst and do I just use warm compresses until it goes down?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
While it is possible to develop acne cysts on the normal skin, there are also some specific glands in this location that can develop into cysts, such as a Bartholin cyst.
However, for any of the cysts that form in this area, if it is not red and very tender, it is fine to try to first manage it with the use of warm compresses or soaking in hot water. If it is red and tender, there is more of a concern about infection, and it would be better to be seen. With if the only issue is th cyst itself and some discomfort related to the swelling, it is fine to first treat it conservatively.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do t think it is a Bartholian chat because it is located in the center of the outside of the labia majors. It is not anywhere near the vagina itself. I will try to manage it today and see if I can see OBGYN for my annual anyway this week. Thanks!
You are very welcome.