Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 7 weeks pregnant and have been bleeding on and off with

Customer Question

Hello, I am 7 weeks pregnant and have been bleeding on and off with cramping. I got my first ultrasound at 6 weeks and saw a heartbeat at 111 bpm. Two days later I begin to bleed bright red with clots and cramping. I was told to come into the office for a follow up ultrasound and found everything to be fine. At 6 weeks 2 days with a heart rate of 120 bpm. I was also on Lovenox at the time but was instructed to discontinue. I was also instructed to stay rested that weekend. Later that day the bleeding and cramping stopped. 3 days later bleeding spotting and cramping again. I went in for ultrasound. This time I should have been 6 weeks 6 days. Measurements showed 6 weeks 5 days and a heart rate of 108 bpm. Bleeding stopped that same day but now I'm concerned that the heart rate has gone down instead of up and am concerned about miscarriage. The office does not seem to be concerned with the heart rate just as long as the growth is within range but I'm just concerned. Thanks!
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess my real concern is not the number because when researching it says 6 to 7 weeks 90 to 100 bpm is normal , I'm more concerned that it decreased as it usually goes up by 3.3 bpm per day
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This pregnancy is my 2nd but 1st ended in miscarriage before 6 weeks no heartbeat ever found both with FET/IVF
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Heartbeat typically varies. On average it increases over time, but it's not that unusual for it to decrease from one day to another.
Most likely, all is well. Time will tell. I suspect that the heartbeat will be fine next time it's measured. Best wishes.