Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 79 yrs old and my vagina is too dry. What can I do to

Customer Question

I am 79 yrs old and my vagina is too dry for sex. What can I do to help it?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
You can use lubricants, such as Astroglide, which provide good lubrication during sex.
There are vaginal moisturizers, such as Replens, which will help somewhat for vaginal dryness, but the best product is vaginal estrogen cream. Vaginal tissues become thin and dry and fragile following menopause due to low estrogen. Using estrogen cream will restore your vagina to almost the same condition as before menopause. Estrogen also will increase vaginal elasticity to make sex more comfortable.
Vaginal estrogen cream has virtually no risk, since the estrogen effect is local in the vagina, and virtually none gets to the rest of your body.
You will need a prescription for vaginal estrogen, so I would see your doctor. Best wishes.