Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

My menstral cycle is usually between 29-33 days. I'm on day

Customer Question

Hi, my menstral cycle is usually between 29-33 days. I'm on day 41 of my cycle with no period. So I ask about 10 days late. I have negative pregnancy test, I've taken over 50 (no joke). I've never had a missed period. Should I wait to see if my next cycle comes or what do I do? I'm 27 years old, have 2 kids, and healthy. No recent changes in my daily routine. I have anxiety so this is just making me worry like crazy! Thank you so much
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today.

Skipping periods is actually a pretty common occurrence. Most women do have a few skips during their lives, usually at times of stress. So yes, if the pregnancy test is negative, it's fine to sit tight and see if it gets back to normal next month.

If it doesn't and you continue to have skips, we check into other reasons. For example, thyroid disease can cause skips, as can elevations in a hormone called prolactin. Other causes of skipped periods include eating disorders, excessive exercise, different medications and a few less common reasons.

So for now, just wait to see what happens next month. If the skips continue, it's time to see your gynecologist who is likely to check the thyroid and prolactin levels as well as take more detailed history to find other possible causes.

I hope it gets back to normal soon. Please reply if I can clarify anything or add more details.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Any questions?
If none, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback.