Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Non reactive rpr test after exposure 15 years ago

Customer Question

non reactive rpr test after exposure 15 years ago
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Were you exposed to syphilis 15 years ago? If so, can you tell me the circumstances?
Have you ever had a positive rpr or other test?
Is your concern now whether you could have syphilis? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if I was exposed. I was sexually abused by a family member. I have just recently started to talk about it. One of my concerns was always getting a std from the experience.No I never tested positive for it and was too young to know symptoms. Decided to get a test done 12-14 years after possible exposure and the rpr test came back non reactive. Does this mean I don't have it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
concern is whether or not I could have syphilis
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had 2 non reactive rpr tests. But if it is im spinal fluid would that test even be accurate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How does this work? Did you see the last couple of answers I sent?
Your negative rpr test almost certainly means that you don't have syphilis.
While it is possible to have syphilis in the spinal fluid and have a negative rpr, the incidence of syphilis in the US is really quite low, so the chance of your getting it, having it in the spinal fluid, and having a negative rpr is remote.
You could ask your doctor for a treponemal test such as TPA, which would be positive if you had syphilis in your spinal fluid. I don't believe it's necessary, but perhaps it would give you peace of mind.