Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have an cyst on one of my ovaries - had xray all is fine.

Customer Question

I have an cyst on one of my ovaries - had xray all is fine. Needs to be removed
As I have a lot of scarring - hysterectomy 3 caesers. Is it possible to have a needle
inserted through my bottom and cyst drained.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It is possible to have a needle aspiration of an ovarian cyst, with the needle usually inserted through the vaginal and guided by ultrasound.
The advantage of this procedure is that it is less invasive than surgical interventions and the recovery time is much less. However, the pri***** *****mitation of the procedure is that there is a relatively high rate of recurrence, as high as 75% in certain studies. Consequently, surgery is still usually considered the preferred mode of treatment, but in a woman that is high risk for surgery, needle aspiration is an option.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.