Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I haven't had a period sice september 2014. I've felt ill

Customer Question

I haven't had a period sice september 2014. I've felt ill this week and just had a positive pregnancy test.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Wow. The statistical likelihood that a woman would get regnant at age 53 after 11 months without a period is extremely low, but it is not zero.
However, it is unclear what question you are asking.
Could you clarify what question you are asking?
What information would be helpful?
I have not heard back regarding any clarification of what information would be helpful, so I comment upon the situation.
I already commented upon the low likelihood of becoming pregnant in your situation. However, for the few that do get pregnant at your age, there are a number of difficulties that may arise that are far less likely in pregnancies that occur at a younger age. So, it is recommended that you should establish with a doctor as quickly as possible. The fact that you have not had a period in 11 months also eliminates any guide to when you may have ovulated, so examination by a doctor would be important to assess the dates of the pregnancy, which also should be done as soon as possible.
There also is a chance that a pregnancy test may be a false result, although the likelihood of this would depend upon what type of test was done. The assessment by your doctor would also be able to ascertain whether the pregnancy test was a false result.
It is common for pregnant women to feel ill early in pregnancy, although there are obviously many other possible causes of feeling ill.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.