Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am a 27 year old female. Have been suffering from fevers

Customer Question

Hi
I am a 27 year old female. Have been suffering from fevers about once a month for around 10 months now.
It always happens early hours in the morning I wake up and feel freezing cold but really I have a temp, my whole body aches I get a bad headache and rigors sometimes and when they test it my pulse rate is high.
I have had a CT scan from my chest to my groin. A head CT scan, hormonal blood tests and blood cultures. An ultrasound scan on my heart, liver, gall bladder and kidneys, bladder, womb etc. Been admitted to hospital on 2 occassions and I am none the wiser as to what is wrong with me.
The only thing that shows up is that I have slightly rAised white blood cells in my blood test and a slightly enlarged lymph node in my groin which is still under 1cm so I am told is not a cause for concern.
Over the months inbetween getting these fevers I have felt really drained and sickly with barely any energy. On the day of having the fever I am wiped out!
Any ideas on the
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to add... My most recent fever happend on early hours of sunday. On saturday I felt pretty bad and was gettin a few shooting pains in the right side of my back. Goes to the Drs on Monday and he done a dipstick test of my urine and said it showed white blood cells and blood in the urine. Sent it off to the lab and started me on antibiotics. Advised me to call back for lab results which I did do today to be advised all the lab said was my urine was a bit thick so I may have thrush. No mention if infection or anything else. Despite the fact that since starting the antibiotics I have been feeling a burning sensation in the right side of my back and right side of lower abdomen.It is like no matter what test I get nothing specific ever shows and I would not mind if it wasnt effecting me so much having to take time off work on numerous occassions as I have felt so bad.I just do not know what else to do it is as though no one knows the cause
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? If so, what period of time? Are you aware of anything which might have brought this on? Did you have a blood test for autoimmune diseases? Did you have a blood test for CRP or ESR? Any medical problem? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history? Is stress increased at home or work since around 10 months ago?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I am 5 ft weighing 13 stone, no weight change. No idea where this has come from when it first happend they thought it was a water infection gave me antibiotics but it continued anyway with no sign of infection in my water. The only medical problem I have is a reflux have had this for years and a hiatus hernia again I have had this for years which I take omeprazole 20mg in morning for. No surgeries. I have had my blood sugar tested for diabetes. Only
Over the counter medication is paracetamol
For fever when it happens. Only
Medical history really is My mums mum died of ovarian cancer at age of 51 and my mum died of pancreatic cancer at age of 46 in 2007. No
Change at home
Or in work re stress levels. I dont think I had a blood test for CRP or ESR ...what are they? Or autoimmune disease again I dont think so. They did refer me
To a heamatologist due to the constant raised white blood cells - who took bloods but I dont think
He
Mentioned any of those things.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to add I do not smoke never have done, only drink occassionally and hardly ever over the past 10
Months as I have felt so ill. No recreational
Drug use. I have not been abroad to anywhere tropical. Only places I have visited in tenerife and london.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry i must add re medical conditions I have low iron levels not low enough to make me aneamic but slightly low
And again I have suffered with this for years and have took iron tablets and folic acid intermittently
For this over the years too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also over past few months have noticed my eyes sometimes go blurry and they feel gritty. Have had a opticians check as i wear glasses they said the health of my eyes is fine and not
Much of a change in lens strength needed. But my eyes feels goey and grainy of a morning but they are not infected. I get the blurred vision intermittently the hospital dis also look in my eyes they put drops in to dialate pupiles when I was j. Hospital when they done the brain scan and said they seemed fine.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

If you have no infection and your white blood cells are raised, you could have leukemia. The hematologist should check your peripheral blood smear to check if there are immature blood cells in your blood.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could this be the case even if the white blood cells are only slightly raised?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

No. If you have leukemia, your white cells should be increased significantly. You don't have it. Do you have the blood test result? If you have it, attach it here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not have the blood test result but I recall them saying they were around 14 if that makes any sense? Do have any other idea of what it could be?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

I want to know not only white blood cell number but also other result. 14 is high but not enough for leukemia. also want to know the fraction of white blood cell number. 14 seems to be infection (bacteria, virus, and so forth), though. How do they know it is not due to infection?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well they done a full septic screen on my blood and blood cultures and nothing come back on that. Also no infection showing in urine. So said although the blood result show sign of infection they cannot pin point one...is it possible to have an undetectable infection ? Or do you have any other suggestions of what to do to detect it? Do you think this could be anything to do with my heart? They did do an ultrasound on it but it was painful and difficult to view due to breast tissue. My ECGs are fine but I do get a high pulse rate with the fever...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Take now for example I am exhausted came home from work had to go for a lie down as I felt drained despite not doing anything strenuous. I also feel sore my body is sore and aching
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

You should have TEE (transesophageal echocardiography) instead.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so do you have any idea of what could be causing this ?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Correction. The median leukocyte count at diagnosis of leukemia is approximately 15 x 109/L (15,000 cells/microL). So there is still a possibility that you have leukemia. Since you don't have the result of CRP, ESR, fraction of increased white blood cells that are markers of inflammation, it is difficult to say what you have because of limited results. It could be also viral infection, autoimmune disease.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I recall the heamatologist saying it is the inflammatory white blood cells that are raised. I have had numerous Full blood counts done so would that include CPR and ESR? I am due to see my hematologist on tues so could ask for results break down. Viral infection that has lasted for 10 months is this possible? Is there a way to get rid of it? How is autoimmune disease diagnosed? Thanks
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

They should've checked CRP and ESR. Viral infection could last for a long time. The treatment depends on the virus. At first ANA should be checked for autoimmune disease.