Dr David
Dr David, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced physican trained in ob-gyn and oncology
41363181

I have had severe morning sickness (twin girls) but this

Customer Question

Hi there - I have had severe morning sickness (twin girls) but this week craved liquorice and salty liquorice and have probably eaten the equivalent of 3 bags - I now hear this could damage the baby's IQ and I feel awful. I also had two cups of fennel tea which I had found on one site to be safe but others say they can damage the endocrine system! I feel doubly incompetent - is there anything I can do at this point? Many thanks
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
you have to see your gyn doctor for treatment
you might need IV fluids if you are dehydrated.
there are medications which are safe to use during pregnancy such as metoclopramide, antihistamines, and antireflux medications which could help
you can also try eating ginger, ginger tea, ginger cookies, ginger snaps, ginger ale to help decrease nausea and vomiting.
don't worry about the fennel tea.
do you have a gyn doctor you can see right away to see if you need IV fluids?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there - apologies, i probably wasn't very clear. My concern is mostly about the liquorice - I've eaten about 300gs of liquorice sweets in the last week (they really helped get rid of some of the taste of sickness!) While the NHS website said liquorice is fine, I have just found out that a study in 2010 indicated 250g a week can seriously weaken the placenta effecting the babies' stress levels, development, IQ and behaviour! Quite a list... I don't know if this study is current, how much harm one week of liquorice will do or if I can do anything to to counteract (like drink lots of water)? In addition the women in the study are 100g of pure liquorice a day, whereas the sweets I have eaten seem to have lots of other ingredients! Anyway, here is the study. http://www.babymed.com/blogs/jaclyn-stewart/study-shows-pregnant-women-should-avoid-licorice
Expert:  Dr David replied 1 year ago.
too much liquorice is not good for the prgnancy.
you should talk to your gyn doctor about this and stop the liquorice.
your gyn doctor might have to monitor your placenta and fetus more closely
drinking plenty of water can help you keep from being dehydrated if you are vomiting or vomited before.
we don't know if drinking more water now will help
we don't know for sure if your baby or fetus will be harmed by the liquorice.
when was your last fetal ultasound?
do you have an appointment to see your gyn doctor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there - my last ultrasound was 2 weeks ago and was ok. I have only eaten liquorice sweets (not pure liquorice) in the last week so it would not be relevant. Can you make sense of the level of risk - as I said 1 week only and sweets not pure liquorice. Total say 300gs of sweets in the week.
Expert:  Dr David replied 1 year ago.
there is only about 1-2% of liquorice in liquorice candy.
the precaution against licorice refers to the use of licorice extract or the powdered root.
the amount of pure licorice in sweets and candies is not that high, only about 1-2% liquorice candy.
that is only about 6mg of pure liquorice in 300mg of candy, well within the limit of 20 grams of pure licorice a day
so you will be fine.
you have not harmed your baby.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Expert:  Dr David replied 1 year ago.
do you have any other questions?