Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in obstetrical care and routine gynecology. 14 years experience as a family physician.
13781349

I'm having a strange fluttering vibration in my vaginal

Customer Question

I'm having a strange fluttering vibration in my vaginal area, there's no pain. It started in my lower left buttocks 2 nights ago and now has transferred to the vaginal area standing and now sitting. I'm in my 60's. What's causing this sensation that I've never had before? It came on all of a sudden that other night. It feels like eyelid flutter uncontrollably like a nervous spasm-like a muscular nerve shivering.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

It sounds that you describe a muscle fasciculation. This is caused by irritation of a small nerve branch that activates a muscle. This type sensation may come and go at practically any part of the body . you correctly note the eyelid to be a common area for this phenomenon.

It commonly is transient and may resolve on its own. If persistent and bothering you then 91st times adding a magnesium supplement may help ( magnesium oxide is over the counter 400mg per day)

You can consult your doctor if it is ongoing or frequent and bothering you. It may benefit from a medication such as Klonapin.

If other symptoms should develop then you may need more evaluation.It sounds to relate to a small nerve branch irritation but if you should have broader type symptoms then further evaluation of aspects perhaps to include evaluation of lower back and pelvis area .

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.I will Be happy to get back with you! If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD