Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I had a cervical smear today which hurt a lot and I bleed

Customer Question

I had a cervical smear today which hurt a lot and I bleed afterwards, there was quite a lot of blood (i had to go home and change my trousers) - my cervix still feels very sore and I am really worried.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had cervical smear a few times before and they didn't hurt much or bled much. Today the nurse was trying to take a sample from the side of me because the examination bed was positioned in a way that she couldn't access my vagina directly from the front! She scraped my cervix multiple times and it was very painful. I am worried about my cervix being cut and becoming infested.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

Your cervix should not become infected, not to worry. A pap smear should not hurt. While you may spot, you should not bleed. The cervix does not need to be scraped multiple times. Most Drs use a soft combination brush. I would see a different Dr or nurse next time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will definitely not use this clinic again! I am still in discomfort, feeling sore 12 hours after I had the test is there anything I can do to ease it or shall I just wait to see if it gets better? How long shall I wait before I ask to see a doctor about it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
D I just realised I wrote infested instead of infected lol that sounds so bad, I am glad you understood what I meant!!
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

Ibuprofen over the counter will help. I do not think you need to see a Dr as there is really nothing that can be done.