Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have greenish discharge that is quite stringy. I've

Customer Question

Hello I have greenish discharge that is quite stringy. I've noticed this for around 8 weeks or so and it hasn't stopped. It doesn't have a bad smell & I'm engaged so I haven't changed sexual partners and he hasn't either. What could it be?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

I suspect that the most likely cause of your greenish discharge is cervicitis, which is an inflammation of the glands of the cervix.

Although you haven't changed partners, it would be worthwhile to get tested for STD's, if you haven't done so, since STD's are a major source of abnormal vaginal discharge. If you see an OB/GYN doctor for the testing, he/she can also evaluate the discharge and your cervix.

With cervicitis, the cervix will have a redness, and there will be increased mucous discharge, which may be green, yellow, or clear.

Some degree of cervicitis is fairly common (we see it in virtually every cervical biopsy taken) and requires no treatment unless it is bothersome. It's sort of the nature of the cervix for the glands to be somewhat inflamed, and for the most part, it has no ill effects other than causing vaginal discharge.