Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Im 41 years old,I have lupus nephritis since 2008 and Im on

Customer Question

hello!Im 41 years old,I have lupus nephritis since 2008 and Im on Mycophenolate Mofetil 500mg Daily,Prednisone 5 mg daily,Irbersartan 150mg BID and Lipitor 20mg at Bedtime,at present Im very much okey and my lab works are also good. My question is what birth control pills good for me. Thank you!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Have you considered an IUD?

How are your periods? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have regular periods...but is it okey for me to take progestin pill and or depo provera injections...

I believe that it's OK for you to take the progestin only pill (mini pill) or depo provera. The combined pill or anything containing estrogen is considered more risky because of the increased risk of blood clotting problems that can be present in women with lupus.

Progesterone methods of birth control don't seem to aggravate lupus and don't seem to increase blood clotting risk, so they should be reasonable for you to use.

Depo provera is highly effective for birth control, and the mini pill is also as long as it's taken at the same time every day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u Dr.

You're welcome.