Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had HELLP syndrome which seemed to begin at 35 weeks, I had

Customer Question

I had HELLP syndrome which seemed to begin at 35 weeks, I had my baby by emergency c-section at 37 weeks. Everything returned to normal after a couple of months with my health but I'm terrified of having more complications with my next pregnancy and would like to know if there are any underlying health issues that can lead to this complication or if it was just a fluke. And if theres any increased risk of having it again next time or of having any other complications.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
We don't know what causes HELLP syndrome, so we don't know specifically how to prevent it. It's thought that up 1/4 of women who develop HELLP syndrome will get it in a subsequent pregnancy.As far as we know, the best way to avoid HELLP syndrome is to remain as healthy as possible. That means good nutrition, regular exercise, and sufficient sleep.As long as you are aware of the symptoms of HELLP, you can see your doctor right away if you develop them late in pregnancy. That includes headache, nausea, right upper abdominal pain, and changes in vision.HELLP syndrome is often associated with preeclampsia, which is a condition of elevated blood pressure and protein in the urine.Your doctor will follow your next pregnancy very carefully. Hopefully, it will be completely normal.