Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I started birth control about 3 months ago, and around the

Customer Question

I started birth control about 3 months ago, and around the same time I began to experience a small cut on my perineum that then expanded to my labia majora. The cut stung when I urinated, and I have been getting them on and off since I've been on birth control. They usually last about a week but they have been getting worse, it seems that at some point I will itch down there around my perineum and that causes the cut to start up. I am not sexually active, but I have had sex once and it was about 8 months ago, (5 months before I started my BC) and there were no complications afterwards and protection was used. I'm very scared because all of the sites I have read said it could be reoccurring yeast infections due to the BC, or herpes, but I feel like herpes is out of the question since this has happened so recently. Please help, should I stop taking my birth control? I feel that that could be the problem.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Have you been tested for a yeast infection?How often do the cuts come, and how long do they last?Has a doctor checked the cuts and done a herpes test? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't.They've come about once or twice a month for a couple of days eachAnd no I haven't seen a doctor about this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I must add that I have never had any sign of herpes, no bumps or lesions or anything other than this cut. I believe it could be due to a yeast infection of the skin that's caused by my birth control.
I suspect that the cuts are due to yeast infection. Sometimes women get tiny cuts like that, and we don't find a good explanation.Genital herpes might be a possibility, except that genital herpes can occur once a month, but not twice.Yeast infections are common, and often brought on by some condition that makes yeast grow. This can be hormonal change, and the birth control pill might be responsible.The way to be sure would be to see your doctor for a yeast test and perhaps also a herpes culture.In case it is yeast, it's usually easy to cure, although it may come back. Perhaps if you stopped the pill, the cuts would stop coming.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you recommend getting a Monistat 3 day kit and trying it? Last night I applied cortisone 10 to the area (which another doctor prescribed to a woman that had a yeast infection) and the cut on the Labia is gone but the cut on the perineum isn't.I just don't see how this could be herpes.
I also don't think it's herpes.You could try the Monistat. If everything clears, that's pretty good proof that it was a yeast infection.