Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had a D&C 3 weeks back and the doctor asked me to get RPOCs

Customer Question

I had a D&C 3 weeks back and the doctor asked me to get RPOCs tested for infection as I was carrying it around for around 4 months.
Just want to know what does these results mean? I do not want to go for a follow-up visit if everything's fine. Also, I started on my period a day back.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's the test result
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Before the D&C, did an ultrasound confirm pregnancy tissue inside the uterus?Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I was bleeding heavily, was taken to the hospital in emergency and they had to carry out the D&C.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please interpret the attached test result for me so that i don't have to go for the follow/up if everything looks fine.
The test results show uterine lining with no inflammation or infection.There is no pregnancy tissue present. Since you were bleeding heavily prior to the D&C, apparently you passed all of the pregnancy tissue before the D&C was done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh so does this mean the D&C was useless??Before the D&C, the doctor said that since I was carrying it around for 4 months (missed abortion), there may be some stuff left and should be cleaned out.
If the D&C helped to control the bleeding, then it wasn't useless.If the heavy bleeding had stopped by the time you had the C&C, then perhaps it was useless.Sometimes it may be difficult to know beforehand whether there is still tissue inside and whether a D&C is needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Yes, the bleeding had stopped so I guess it wasn't really needed but the doctor still performed it as precaution.They took my ultrasound before doing it and the result said "normal sized uterus with endometrium thickness in upper segment measuring 0.5 cm. Slightly inhomogenous endometrium seen in lower segment measuring 0.8 cm suggestive of few retained products of conception / blood clot. Both ovaries seen normal.'Another ultrasound i had a week before this one, showed cyst in left ovary but this ultrasound showed both ovaries as normal with no cyst or mass. Maybe the heavy bleeding cleaned the cyst also? Is that possible?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, does this test result also detects any STIs?
Small ovarian cysts are common and generally go away on their own. The bleeding doesn't have anything to do with the cyst.STD's cannot usually be detected by such test results. An STD that infected the uterine lining might show inflammation, of which there was none.But STD's require STD testing to discover.