Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I have been on Sprintec 28 now. I did not take the

Customer Question

I have been on Sprintec 28 for years now. I did not take the last two of my white pills which I know is not a problem. I began the next pack at the appropriate time on Sunday. I took all my blues in the first row at 8pm except the Saturday one I took at 9pm. I had unprotected sex that next morning. I went and bought Plan B one step and took it at 12:30. Later that day at like 2pm I had diarrhea. I do not want to get pregnant. Are there any other precaution measures I should take or should I be protected?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. It sounds like you are not at increased risk of pregnancy. You didn't take the last 2 sugar pills but started the new pack on time. Taking one of the pills 1 hour late will not cause an increased risk of pregnancy. Especially because you've been on it for years you have some leeway. On top of it you took Plan B. It wasn't necessary to do that but doing it likely gave you some extra peace of mind. Just keep in mind that you might get some spotting a few days after taking it. That's not the sign of any kind of problem. Just a common reaction to the high dose of progesterone in the Plan B. I hope this information was reassuring and helpful. Let me know if I can clarify anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you! Would the Plan B be absorb and not flushed out when I had diarrhea?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
No, it would be absorbed unless you had incredibly fast diarrhea. But it wouldn't matter either way because I don't believe that the effectiveness of your Sprintec was lowered by taking it 1 hour late anyway. Anything else?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Anymore questions? If none, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on the last week of my blue pills and I have been spotting. Is this normal or should I be concerned? I will take my last blue pill this evening and the blood has stopped. I usually start my period on Tuesday.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Because you've recently taken Plan B, it's common to have spotting at the wrong time for up to 2 months after taking. So just continue taking the pills exactly on schedule and be sure to also have run a home urine pregnancy test 14 days after the accident just to be 100% sure, although the risk of pregnancy sounded close to zero to me from what you described. Anything else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I expect my period during my white pills still?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
That may or may not happen because of the Plan B. That can throw things off for up to 2 months after taking. But remember no matter what, just continue to take them daily on schedule. The cycle should get straightened out by 2 months after the Plan B. If it's not, see your gyne since you may need an adjustment in your birth control pills.

Anything else?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
If no more questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.