Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I'm 46 and missed period time ever-we use condoms,

Customer Question

Hello-I'm 46 and missed period for first time ever-we use condoms, and I have slight twinges of pre-menstrual cramps but then nothing.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** certified Ob-Gyne. I can provide some helpful medical information for you today.
At age 46, it's rather common to start skipping some ovulations. But of course first you'll need to make sure you're not pregnant. So run a home urine pregnancy test. They are quite accurate and are positive by the time you miss a period, especially if you use the first urine of the morning. This concentrates the pregnancy hormone in the urine because of not drinking fluids during the night. Concentrating the hormone level leads to earlier positives. If first morning urine is negative, you're not pregnant.
The next thing we'd do is just sit tight and see if things get back to normal in the next 1-2 months. Here is a link to the typical changes that women start having with regards ***** ***** period cycle as they approach menopause. Average age of menopause is 51.
http://www.cascadewomenshealth.org/download/PDFs/HealthEducation/Transitions%20to%20Menopause/Period%20Change%20as%20you%20get%20older.pdf
You'll want to start tracking your bleeding on a tracking card from now until menopause:
http://www.cascadewomenshealth.org/download/PDFs/HealthEducation/Managing%20Bleeding/mens_rec.gif
If the skipping continues, the next thing to do is check for thyroid disorder. That's a common enough reason for skips and the risk of thyroid disorder increases with age.
Other reasons for skipping are less likely in your age group. These include stress, eating disorders, excessive exercise, medications and a few others.
But by far the most common reasons in your age group is the beginning of perimenopausal transition.
I hope this has been reassuring and helpful.
Please reply if I can clarify anything or provide more details. This is an area of particular expertise for me.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Any questions?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
If none, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.