Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had an abortion and now I'm at the ER...will my blood work

Customer Question

I had an abortion and now I'm at the ER...will my blood work show that I had an abortion
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
No. There is nothing about your blood work that will show that you had an abortion.If it was a surgical abortion (as opposed to using medicine to induce abortion), there may be marks on your cervix where it was grasped with a tenaculum. However, most likely they won't be noticed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the doctor just performed the exam...he didn't mention noticing any marks, just said my cervix was closed. I just want them to believe that it was a miscarriage
As long as the doctor didn't mention any marks, there is no way he/she could know whether it was a miscarriage or abortion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He took blood to see how my levels are and how much blood I lost. I said I bled a lot but there was actually very minimal bleeding after the abortion. If he performs a sonogram he will just see an empty uterus, correct?
Occasionally after an abortion, there will be some tissue remaining inside. With very little bleeding, that's unlikely. He will most likely just see a normal, empty uterus.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And he will give documentation saying I had a miscarriage?
Most likely he will write in your chart that you came in reporting a miscarriage, and finding were consistent with that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will my blood levels be inconsistent to my bleeding story
Assuming that you mean hemoglobin levels, yours will likely be normal, but that is often true for women even after significant bleeding. "A lot" of bleeding is open to interpretation. If you have a high hemoglobin, he might wonder, but probably not too much.