Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Yesterday my hcg was 22, down from 86 in 1 week, but the

Customer Question

hi, yesterday my hcg was 22, down from 86 in 1 week, but the size of the tissue matter is still at 0.77 cms. It has not fallen much. In 1 week, it have gone from 0.90cms to 0.77cms. Do I need to worry? I started some bleeding since yesterday, no pain but
some crsmps....so I am concerned. Can you help?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean when you ask if you need to worry?Are you aware that this is a miscarriage? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess that is the problem with not having 1 doctor continuously maintaining my questions and having different ones answer. So far I have been I. Touch with Dr C who knows my car and I had hoped she would pick this up again.
To answer your question, I have had a miscarriage already 4 weeks ago and we have been monitoring my hcg after methotrexate injections (ectopic pregnancy).
Now please go back and read my question. And I hope you will be able to answer.
It is strange that the website does not give you access to my previous questions!!! Or if it does, you have not taken the effort to read my history.
I'm sorry. I do not have access to your previous question and answer.Your hcg is falling reasonably well. Some bleeding is not unusual.Most women with ectopic pregnancy will have a return of hcg to normal levels within 1 month, but sometimes it takes significantly more. I would continue to follow the hcg levels weekly. As long as it falls at least 15% each week, I don't think that you need any further treatment. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh that is a gap in the operations of the website- my apologies if I came on too harsh. The 1 month period is with the methotrexate or w/o? I feel weak each time I start bleeding, is that also normal?
The 1 month period is after methotrexate treatment.Some weakness is normal. It might be good to have your hemoglobin checked, although if there were bleeding inside, they would have seen it on the ultrasound.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and the size of the remainder tissue? is there a rate at which that should disappear? It started as 1.1 and went to 0.9 and now to 0.77 cms - since 27th of June...
Can I expect it to disappear altogether, - if yes, until when? And also, is there a possibility of a scar tissue left over?
I am not aware of a specific rate for resolution of the tissue. Most of us don't follow it along with ultrasound unless the woman is having pain or other symptoms.You can expect it to disappear altogether. Usually it will be gone by the time that the hcg level is normal.There is some possibility of scar tissue, but that seems to be no more likely than if you had surgery for the ectopic. You're probably aware that you are at risk for another ectopic, but it's just as likely to be in the other tube as in this one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks. I am aware that I am at a greater risk to ectopic pregnancy, also for the first time as well, since I am suffering from PCOS, which gives an additional risk of ectopic. Add to this, the current experience, and my risks go higher. A final question, Would you think that going for an Ivf is logical? Given that I am 36, ectopic risks, and we have tested the sperm quality of my husband and has been assessed as being fine w/o problems.
Ivf would be a consideration, but it's expensive and not so easy to go through (although I realize that it's not easy what you're going through).Also, ectopic pregnancy also occurs in ivf pregnancies. The chance is less, but still there.It's hard to say. If you don't have too much trouble getting pregnant, I would probably choose to do that, but I can understand going to ivf.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Si had to take 5 rounds of 50 mg clomid, then 1 round of clomid + ovitrelle which gave me this ectopic pregnancy. I am confused now.. If there is proven research of less chances of ectopic pregnancy with ivf v/s natural derived out of clomid + ovitrelle?
Since you don't get pregnant very easily, ivf would probably be a good choice for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your prompt answers. I will ask you another question, is it possible to have you answer it. I prefer having a talk with you and I understand this website allows it, want to ensure I soeak to you. Is that possible?
A phone call is possible. You need to go through the moderators. I think if you push the Help button they can assist youI'm in and out. I'm here now (7:40pm my time), and I'll be back in about 2 hours if that doesn't work for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
You're welcome.