Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Went to a family clinic and was tested to see if I had an STD. The results came back posti

Customer Question

went to a family clinic and was tested to see if I had an STD. The results came back postive for HSV2. I went to a gynecolgist to get another test done. The results came back negative for HSV1 and HSV2. He did not do a blood test. Could my first visits results be mistaken for another virus. My symptoms looked nothing like genital herpes the first time around ( the doctor said so as well but wanted to test to be for sure.) I had one bump that was not a blister and lasted less than 3 days. No scabbing or oozing. I had a sore close to the area from a razor cut that was healing as well. I'm very confused. Can you help me?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Was the first positive HSV2 test a blood test?Was the test at the gynecologist a culture?Who gave you the valtrex? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes , second he collected a sample up inside me by doing a Pap smear, and the first doctor gave me the valtrex.
Blood tests show antibodies for HSV, which means that you've been exposed and have developed antibodies. They don't mean that any lesion present is due to herpes. A bum that isn't a blister is not from herpes.Many people do get genital herpes with HSV2, but never are aware of any herpes lesions.So in my opinion, you've been exposed to HSV2 in the past, have developed antibodies, but probably have never had any herpes lesion.That means that you could possibly be contagious for genital herpes, but that's true of many people.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I habe developed antibodies that means that I forsure have it? I am also wanting to have a baby in the near future.
Since you have antibodies in your blood that means for sure that you've gotten infected with HSV2.Although the herpes virus can be deadly for babies, the problem is mostly in women who develop a herpes infection late in pregnancy, when they don't have antibodies. Most pregnant women with a past history of genital herpes don't have any problem in their babies.