Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I normally have regular periods.they last usually 5 days and pretty much the same. I get o

Customer Question

I normally have regular periods.they last usually 5 days and pretty much the same. I get ovulation pain and ovary pain during my cycle.
This month though I am due on in 5 days but for the last week I've had thick browny black discharge with black clots in it that I don't normally have before my period. I also have low backache and quite severe pain in my right ovary.
This isn't normal for me and doesn't seem to be letting up. Please help I can't get an appointment till next wednesday
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Do you use anything for birth control?Is an STD possible?Was your last period normal, coming when expected?Have you had much stress lately? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes period arrived as normal last month and every month prior to that.
No I'm not on birth control nor in a relationship at the moment.
Yes I have had a bit of stress due to house moving.
Since neither pregnancy nor an STD is a possibility, your pain and bleeding are unlikely to be from anything serious. I suspect that the bleeding is the result of stress on your system, and the pain may be related to the abnormal bleeding.Ibuprofen and a heating pad are usually helpful. If you need more, you would probably need to get a prescription pain killer, perhaps at an urgent care clinic.It will be important to keep your appointment for next Wednesday, since your bleeding seems somewhat unusual, with your history of very regular periods and no missed periods.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I did have sex with my ex a few weeks ago would that make any difference? I know an sti shouldn't be possible
Sometimes an sti is possible when it shouldn't be.It may be worthwhile for you to be seen in an urgent care clinic and get sti testing, just to be sure. An sti would explain your symptoms, and I'm have a hard time explaining them.Since you had sex with no birth control, pregnancy may also be a possibility, although it's unlikely to be causing your symptoms, since you haven't missed a period.