Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had a cervical polyp discovered during a PAP smear yesterday..I'm

Customer Question

Hi..I had a cervical polyp discovered during a PAP smear yesterday..I'm going to the gynae tomorrow to get it looked at as well. I had an internal pelvic ultrasound 7 months ago, and nothing was detected then aside from a uterine polyp and a discovery of adenomyosis. Would a cervical polyp normally appear this quickly? They did say it was small, and appeared to be an endometrial polyp. Many thanks ;)
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Was the polyp removed?Have you had any problems with your periods? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it wasn't removed as they said it wouldn't be easy, I think they said it couldn't be easily twisted off so would need the gynae to maybe remove it? I have had very irregular periods, but this coincided with me starting the minipill 18 months ago. I had a transvaginal pelvic ultrasound last November and they then discovered a uterine polyp and adenomyosis, but no mention of a cervical polyp. I guess I'm a little concerned as it has seemed to have appeared so quickly. Many thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The doctors comment yesterday is that it appeared to be an endometrial polyp.
A uterine polyp and an endometrial polyp are the same thing. So perhaps that's what they saw on the ultrasound. Most polyps that appear at the cervix are easy to twist off. Most polyps are benign, and I expect that yours will be. It probably hasn't appeared so quickly, whichever kind of polyp it is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** Will have a good chat to the gynae tomorrow.
You're welcome.