Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I am 47 and the past year my periods have been

Customer Question

Hi I am 47 and for about the past year my periods have been different. Haven't missed any but the one lasted only a day. Lots of spotting days before different times. A couple were normal. My mother was 48 when she quit hers and so was her mother. What can I expect to happen say in the next year or so. Have been getting off and on hot flashes also. Is this perimenopause?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Yes this can be.You are correct in your assumptions.Your doctor needs to to a lab to see if this is the case.And exam. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Let me know if you have further questions.Or please rate positive.